gnucash-user Digest, Vol 158, Issue 49

Isaac Wingfield isw at witzend.com
Wed May 25 13:50:07 EDT 2016

On May 25, 2016, at 9:00 AM, gnucash-user-request at gnucash.org wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 May 2016 12:23:19 Isaac Wingfield wrote:
>> I got a copy of gtkrc-2.0.gnucash and stuck it in my home folder with
>> a "dot" in front of the name, and GnuCash evidently sees it and (to
>> some extent) pays attention to it -- i.e. I am able to change the
>> colors of various parts of the display.
>>
> Good. That means you are altering the correct file.
>
>> The problem is that no matter what colors I choose for the transaction
>> backgrounds, the color of the text changes to a sort of reddish-brown
>> when unselected (which is not good), or nearly white when selected
>> (which makes it almost unreadable). It appears that the lines
>> outlining the headers at the top of the register are the same reddish
>> color as the text, FWIW, but I can't see where to set that either.
>>
>> I can alter the typeface by changing the value of font_name, but
>> adding font_color = "Black" seems to break things so that
>> gtkrc-2.0.gnucash file is totally ignored.
>>
>> So, how do I control the color of the text?
>>

> Have you tried adding fg[NORMAL] and fg[SELECTED] parameters to the various gnc-register-
> * style definitions ?
>
> I *think* these will define the text colors, though I haven't tried.

I tried adding

 fg[NORMAL] = "Green"
 fg[SELECTED] = "Purple"

in both style "gnc-register" and style "gnc-register-primary"

but there was no noticeable effect (which those colors should have made obvious).

I did find, accidentally, that

style "gnc-entry"
{
  base[NORMAL]   = "LightBlue"
  text[NORMAL]   = "Black"
}

controls the color of the text in unselected entries. Text in selected lines is still white, but selection of a dark bg color makes that work pretty well.

So at this point, I have a set of colors and a font that are acceptable, and can turn the app over to my wife/accountant.

Thanks for the help.

Isaac