Bug?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon May 30 10:17:56 EDT 2016

On 5/25/2016 10:19 AM, Jacqueline Greenleaf wrote:
> New user here, I don’t know whether the behavior I’m seeing is a bug or something I’m doing wrong.
>
> I set up a new file, storing it on my desktop, and starting working with it. Every time I manually save, I wind up with a new gnucash icon/file on my desktop, plus some assorted text dos with the extensions .log and .lck scattered around.

I won't say "wrong" but a little odd. The "desktop" is actually a
directory (file folder) like any other except you have its contents
displayed on your screen. Do you store all your text documents on your
desktop? That would make for a very cluttered desktop. Most computer
users have a "structure" to store their data, a heirarchy of directories
(file folders) with the folders having meaningful names so that you
could later find things (thus you might have a folder "documents" and
under that folders with names like "work correspondence" and in that
folder would go copies of letters related to your job).

In other words, the developers expected that you would have created a
folder with a name like "financial data" and in there you would have
saved the file that is your gnucash books, and in THERE (and not
cluttering up your desktop) would be the log and backup files and the
lock file (exists only while gnucash is open if you terminate normally).
You could STILL have an icon on your desktop to take you directly to
your gnucash file. Refer to how you set up shortcut icons under your OS.

As for the backup and log files being created ad infinitum. look up how
you can control that with preferences only to keep them for a specified
number of versions or a specified age.

Michael D Novack