Clearing out old transactions

Henry Law news at lawshouse.org
Fri May 27 12:34:53 EDT 2016

I run the domestic accounts as a single GNUCash file.  After the end of
the tax year (5th April in the UK, for good but obscure reasons) I
reconcile everything and then use the "Close Books" facility to clear
out all the expense and income accounts.  I place the balancing
transactions in a pair (income and expense) of accounts called "Expense
2014-15" and "Income 2014-15" (for example).

I've been doing this for some years now, so I have lots of entries which
are no longer of any relevance in themselves: they've been accounted for
as income or expense and their effects have been moved to the annual
accounts as described above. I want to delete them.

I've looked at gcCull.pl and (with apologies to its author) I'd like to
understand the process it enables before using it.  So I've established
a very simple scenario and I'm trying to work out how the deletion
works.  Can someone help me work through this?

My simple example is at
http://www.lawshouse.org/misc/DeleteOldTransactions.pdf  In it you will
see that I had one expense in 2014-15 and one in 2015-16.  I've shown
the accounts affected.  If I simply delete the transaction of 6 May 2014
my net worth will be off and the whole thing won't balance.  (Isn't that
what gcCull.pl does?).  It seems to me that I need to reflect the £100
reduction in net worth by reducing the "Opening balances" account with a
Debit, as shown in the bottom line.  But am I right in thinking that the
corresponding Credit would be to the "Expense 14-15" account?

It seems to me, therefore, that for each transaction to be deleted the
steps are these:

1. Adjust the opening balances downwards by a Db for the amount (or up
by a Cr for an income that I'm deleting)
2. Make a balancing transaction in the "Expense" or "Income" account for
that year
3. Delete the offending transaction.

In practice I'd do this for lots of transactions, and make only one
adjustment to the "opening balances" and one corresponding one in the
appropriate "14-15" account.

Have I got this right?

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England