importing QIF

Paul Kinzelman paul at kinzelman.com
Fri May 27 20:11:59 EDT 2016

I'm trying to import a large QIF file from my Quicken, and one
inconvenient thing
is that GnuCash does not recognize many accounts as being expense accounts
because it does not group them under the parent account 'Expenses'.

For instance, my Quicken categories 'House:Garden' and 'House:Household' are
both recognized as subaccounts under 'House' in Gnucash, but neither are
put under the parent 'Expenses' as is suggested in the setup. I've
looked at the
QIF file, but it's not obvious to me how to put a Category under a parent by
direct editing the QIF file.

Can anybody suggest a way to put the 'House' Category
in Quicken under a (new) parent account 'Expenses' in GnuCash? I figured
that
editing the QIF file might be easier than all the mouse clicks necessary to
do this to all my Quicken expense categories when imported into GnuCash.
TIA!