Is there a way to "Clear all contents/delete all transactions" for a fresh start?

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Thu Nov 3 10:04:40 EDT 2016

Hi Michael,
  Actually, the "problem" is exactly with GnuCash. Other applications on the Mac do not behave the same way. The issue is not that the Finder does not know what application should be used to open the file. GnuCash files are saved by default with the .gnucash extension and that extension is associated with GnuCash. In fact, when a .gnucash file is double clicked in the finder, GnuCash is the application that is launched, just as when a .aup file is double clicked, Audacity is opened (if it has been installed on that Mac).

  The problem with GnuCash is that when I double click a .gnucash file, GnuCash, in its infinite wisdom, ignores whatever file I double clicked and tries to open the last file it had opened. Not only that, if that last file no longer exists in the same location it was in when it was last opened, GnuCash throws up its virtual hands and obstinately continues to ignore the file the Finder asked it to open. That is a problem with GnuCash and no other application I have ever used on any operating system.

Best,
John