Tracking commodities

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Mon Nov 7 16:47:22 EST 2016

I'm struggling with finding an effective way of managing commodities in
GnuCash. For example, holdings of Gold or Silver, not as equity traded
funds but as real metal (ie, xxx grams of gold, etc).

There's reference to using Trading Accounts to do this, but I've not been
able to find much documentation on that, and my experiments in trying to
make that work are disappointing.

I'd like to be able to:

 - buy, say, £100 of gold
 - see the value of the holding
 - edit the gold price from time to time and see the value of the holding
   reflected

Is anyone doing this? Any tips?

Thanks,
Keith

--
"One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like" -
George Carlin