Multiple account names

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Wed Nov 9 10:12:45 EST 2016

And now a word from a heretic. I am also in the situation of keeping books for multiple entities. Since GnuCash takes so long to load a different file, I find it very inconvenient to work with a separate file for each entity. I have simply set up two top-level accounts (assets/liabilities and income/expense) for each entity and all accounts for each entity are housed in the respective top-level accounts. This keeps the books completely separate from each other while giving me instant access to all the entities' books at the same time. Of course, it is up to me to be careful not to cross the boundary, but that is relatively easy to do with a good naming convention and autofilled transactions.

John