Multiple account names

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Nov 9 15:36:13 EST 2016

On 11/9/2016 10:12 AM, John Morris wrote:
> And now a word from a heretic. I am also in the situation of keeping books for multiple entities. Since GnuCash takes so long to load a different file, I find it very inconvenient to work with a separate file for each entity. I have simply set up two top-level accounts (assets/liabilities and income/expense) for each entity and all accounts for each entity are housed in the respective top-level accounts. This keeps the books completely separate from each other while giving me instant access to all the entities' books at the same time. Of course, it is up to me to be careful not to cross the boundary, but that is relatively easy to do with a good naming convention and autofilled transactions.
>
> John
Question -- with this method (not separate files) how do you turn over
to another officer of the organization for safe keeping a copy of the
books (the file) for THAT organization? In the situation the particular
question was asked, perhaps enough relationship between the
organizations that not improper for one to see the books of the other.
But the organizations for which I am treasurer have absolutely nothing
to do with each other.

In other words, while I make backups that are kept here, I also make
backups so that the organization(s) would have them should something
happen to me << and since burned to medium, read only, could also be
used to verify that I have not altered the books ---------- I am perhaps
overly sensitive to "good practice" in this regard because of a very
serious embezzlement at an organization to which I belong but was not
treasurer >>

Michael D Novack

Michael D Novack