Fighting with gnucash

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Fri Nov 11 09:02:12 EST 2016

On 11/10/2016 10:11 AM, Anita Graves wrote:
> Help!!!  I am a beginner trying to set up a new account tree and have these problems:
>
> 1.  It is a read-only file now (don’t know what I did but unchecked the placeholder things a bzillion times)
>
> As I understand it correctly or not, there are only two placeholder accounts:  Asset and Liability
You forgot fundamental type Equity (and temporary types Income and
Expense). This MAY be your problem, misunderstanding how double entry
bookkeeping works. Every transaction has both a debit and credit side.

> 2.  I cannot enter the opening balances of cash on hand or checking account.
Were you entering the equity side of these?

Anita, you do not have to use "opening balances" when you create
accounts. Unless you are working from a balance sheet (and so have in
front of you the opening balance for Equity) it might be easier for you
to simply create the accounts with no balance (balance zero) and then
use a series of opening transactions (description maybe "open the
books") each one debiting (say cash) and crediting (equity) or crediting
(say outstanding loan) and debiting equity. Then gnucash will calculate
the balance of equity for you.

Michael D Novack

> Help!!
>
> Thanks,
> Anita Graves
>

> Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.’ ~Victor Frankl

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.