Calculation prinicpal and interest in loan calculator

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sat Nov 12 16:37:31 EST 2016

On 11/12/2016 4:21 PM, Bram Mertens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to calculate the payment schedule for a loan I started.
> After trying a number of options I found the correct settings for my down
> payments.
> However the amounts calculated for the principal and interest are now still
> 0.01 EUR off from the table my bank provided to me.
> I assume Gnucash uses a different rounding algorithm or something than my
> bank does. Is there a way to influence this so the amounts match?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bram Mertens
Speaking as somebody who has written several "amortization table"
programs, the simple answer is no. It might be possible to write one
that would match what YOUR  bank has, well obviously that is possible,
since your bank did. But then no assurance that it would agree with what
some other bank used.

Not simply a matter of rounding assumptions either. There is a choice of
methods to come up with such a table, and various assumptions about how
the end condition (end of the mortgage) is to be handled, since in
general NO METHOD is going to end up with it coming out example to the
penny at the end.

Michael D Novack