History retention

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Nov 16 09:08:36 EST 2016

On 11/15/2016 5:19 PM, Vern Danley wrote:
> Hi. I’ve been using GnuCash going on two years now. As a result I have
> amassed a large quantity of “historical” data. Is it necessary to keep all
> of this or can I pare it down somehow? Seems like an awful lot of data to
> have to retain. Any suggestions on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks
> in advance.
In the old days of pen and ink on paper accounting, the journal and
ledger(s) were usually bound books. So of course necessary to migrate to
new volumes. Often this was done each year.

If this is what you want, do a "close the books", export the CoA to
create a set of empty accounts, and make that your new set of books from
the post close Balance Sheet. As noted, most of us seem to prefer not
having to go to the right set of books to see historical data (now what
year was that in?) . But this is up to you, your choice.

Michael D Novack