Mac OS - Font Change Question/Help Requested

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Nov 22 12:40:26 EST 2016

> On Nov 22, 2016, at 7:57 AM, Mick Hartzell <mick.hartzell at mac.com> wrote:
>
> I have followed the instructions in the FAQ for changing the UI font size(several times), however, I cannot seem to get it to apply.  Does anyone have suggestions on alternatives, error tracking, et cetera?
>
>   Q: How get I rid of strange unreadable characters or adjust the font
>   size
>   A: You need a font in which the respective characters are defined.
>   Your system tools usually offer some font viewer to test them. Then
>   adjust the fonts for
>   GnuCash reports: under Edit->Stylesheets adjust them for all your
>   used stylesheets.
>   GnuCash user interface: You need to adjust the GTK settings:
>   Linux: The easiest way is to use the Gnome Control Center.
>   MacOs: Create a plain text file in your home folder (~ is unix
>   shorthand for your home folder):
>   X Window version: ~/.gtkrc-2.0
>   native version: ~/.gtkrc-2.0.gnucash
>   with the following contents:
>
>   style "font"
>   {
>      font_name = "Arial Narrow 12"
>   }
>   widget_class "*" style "font"
>   gtk-font-name = "Arial Narrow 12”
>
>   Substitute any font in FontBook for “Arial Narrow 12”.
>   TextEdit will work for creating or changing this file. Be sure to
>   use Format>Make Plain Text and uncheck Edit>Substitutions>Smart
>   Quotes before you start typing.

Well, I just tested that on my late 2010 MBA running MacOS 10.12.1 and Gnucash 2.6.14, though in my file the style name is "AltFont" instead of "font".  Works fine.
You might see an error message if you launch GnuCash from the command line with /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash (assuming that you put Gnucash.app in /Applications, of course).

What is the output of `cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0.gnucash`?

Regards,
John Ralls