Any suggestions for UK businesses - program seems quite American

Dr. David Kirkby - Kirkby Microwave Ltd drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 09:13:06 EST 2016

I took a look at GnuCash with a view to possibly using it for my business. I've
been using Excell, but I'm not happy with that. My account has written to say he
had not heard of GnuCash, and his reccomendations are Kashflow (online based) or
VT transaction (Windoze based).

I'm a little concerned about going against his advice, as it might end up
costing me more in his time. One possibility is exporting GnuCash into Excel,
and giving him Excel sheets again.

But all the above said, I'd still like to give GnuCash a try.

However, it seems very American based, and some of the terms, like a "Checking
account" mean nothing to me. A Google suggests its not the same as a current
account, as we known it here.

The business account for my company

* Pays no interest - some business accounts might, but mine does not.
* Does have a cheque book, although I have never used it.
* Has a debit card, in which one can make transactions just as any normal debit
card
* No overdraft facility - easy to get if I wanted one, but I don't have the need.
* Can transfer money from the current account, to other customers accounts,
given their account number etc.
* Does allow transfers to be made in other currencies, although the currency of
the bank account is GBP.

IMHO it would be good if some non-American terms could be added to GnuCash, so
it has things like a "current account", which everyone is familiar with in the
UK. It is the first bank account someone will get for personal use. Here in the
UK at least, I strongly suspect a "current account" is by far the most common
account in use.

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D CEng MIET
Kirkby Microwave Ltd