Any suggestions for UK businesses - program seems quite American

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 10:40:37 EST 2016

Hi David,

Welcome to the list.

I understand your concern regarding the American bent to the terminology used. A couple of points:

1) I do not know, but GnuCash has translations into many languages, and the website specifically mentions British English, so perhaps the terminology in the British translation would better match yours. You’d have to tell GnuCash to use the British locale, something with which I have no experience, but which is documented in the wiki and documentation.

2) Terminology aside, your description of your business account matches my own American “checking” account, and, if your concern is whether GnuCash would meet your functional needs, then I would say that the “checking” account should meet those. If it is simply a matter of not preferring the nomenclature, then see above. (I had quite a bit of that adjusting to do when I lived in the UK for a year. I had to get used to wearing “trousers,” for example)

Best,
David T.