Any suggestions for UK businesses - program seems quite American

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 08:15:05 EST 2016

On 26 November 2016 at 13:08, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> On 26 November 2016 at 08:39, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 26 November 2016 at 01:37, Dr. David Kirkby - Kirkby Microwave Ltd <
>> drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> I need to work out how to handle PayPal, but I'm pretty sure that must
>>> be answered in the lists or documentation, so I'm not going to ask that.
>>>

>> If a payment through paypal goes straight to your current account then
>> that is no different to a bank transfer as far as GC is concerned. However
>> if you have a paypal acct and the money goes into there and later is
>> transferred to your bank (or you buy things from you paypal acct) then the
>> paypal acct should be setup as another bank type account in GC.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> 3) Currently I'm arranging for PayPal to convert payments in other
> currencies to GBP. It is very rare that I sell anything in GBP, but there
> is some people (almost exclusively Americans), what really want to pay in
> USD.

Correction. It's rare I sell in anything other than GBP, but a few
Americans in particular want to pay in USD.

Recently I advertised something in GBP, and someone sent me Euros. Trouble
is, when converted to GBP, there were not sufficient to cover the cost of
the item. Then he sent some more Euros, but again it was too little. On the
third attempt, he sent some more Euros, and finally there was enough to
cover the cost.

Some people seem to think that if you sell something in GBP, they can use
xe.com or Google, convert that to their local currency, and send that
amount. They seem to miss the fact that Gooogle/xe.com give the average of
the buy and sell rates between big institutions, and as a small business, I
get charged more than that.

Dave