Any suggestions for UK businesses - program seems quite American

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Nov 26 08:11:49 EST 2016

At Sat, 26 Nov 2016 01:37:05 +0000 drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk wrote:

> On 11/26/16 12:36 AM, DaveC49 wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > Just looking at the definition of a current account on
> > http://www.banking-guide.org.uk/current-account.html it serves the same
> > purpose as "checking account" in the US-American terminology or "cheque
> > account" for those of us of more recent British origins. Apart from the
> > name, a cheque account is no different from any other Asset banking account.
>

> OK
>
> >   You may however need to set up accounts associated with the processes of
> > clearing cheques which you have received or written as there is usually time
> > delays between receipt of a cheque, depositing it  to your account and the
> > clearing of the funds so that they are available in your account so you can
> > adequately monitor your cash flow.
>
> So far I have never received a cheque, and never sent one. Around 60% of my
> business is via PayPal, the other 40% by bank transfer. Cheques are pretty much
> dying in the UK. Very few shops will take them now.
>
> I need to work out how to handle PayPal, but I'm pretty sure that must be
> answered in the lists or documentation, so I'm not going to ask that.

PayPal is just another [asset] account, much like a "checking account".  Money
goes in and money goes out...

> > The specific name allocated to accounts is easily changed by selecting the
> > account in the Accounts tab and then Edit->Edit Account from the menu which
> > will allow you to change it to whatever you wish as well as changing other
> > properties of the account. Right clicking in the Accounts tab allows you to
> > select a New Account dialogue which allows you to add new accounts to the
> > chart of accounts in the Accounts tab.
>
> Changing names is easy enough. But for changing properties, you need to
> understand what you are doing, and I certainly don't !!!
>
> > You could get your accountant to suggest an account structure appropriate
> > for your business and business processes and UK accounting practice and then
> > customise one of the standard structures to suit.  You will find references
> > in the forum archives for setting up UK VAT tax structures.
>
> I need to talk to him about this. I'm not over keen on his suggestions of:
>
> * Kashflow (online based) or
> * VT transaction (Windoze based).
>
> both of which cost money. It is not so much the money, but I prefer open-source.
> I've spent a lot of time developing open-source software, and like to use it.
> I'm not keen on this proprietary stuff. That said, I can see the advantages of
> an online system, where an accountant can log into the same system.
>
> I can easily believe that using GnuCash might end up costing me far more in
> time, and more in accountancy fees than if I use the system the accountant
> recommends.

You just to talk to your accountant about your account *structure*, not about
the software to implement it.  GnuCash can implement any account structure you
like.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933