Storing/viewing transaction times in gnucash?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Nov 27 11:45:57 EST 2016

Op vrijdag 25 november 2016 20:43:13 CET schreef
gnucash.mexon at spamgourmet.com:
> I'd like to use gnucash to manage the accounts of my online business.  I
> have no experience of accounting.
>
> The first thing I've noticed while playing with it is that everything is
> recorded as just dates.  There doesn't seem to be any way to record or
> view the time.  My business is 24/7, and most of my sales are outside
> business hours.  It's also important to know how long it took for a sale
> to be confirmed by the payment processor.  For example if it took one
> hour that's a big failure and I need to know that when chasing up the
> records.
>
> Looking in SQLite, the dates seem to be stored as UTC YYYYMMDDHHMMSS
> values.  That seems to indicate that the capability is there.  It's
> unlikely that I'll be entering any transactions by hand, I'll probably
> use a system of OFX files.  But I still need to see that data in the
> UI.  Is there any way to configure the user interface to show the times?

No there isn't.

And while gnucash keeps dates internally in the format you referred to above
the time part is normalized to one fixed time (except for the date-entered).
So gnucash doesn't really record times either.

There has been some debate on this in the past.  Most use cases gnucash is
designed for don't need time information. There are every now and then people
that request this. And John Ralls even started two uservoice feature requests
in order to gauge interest in both options: either continue gnucash with or
without time information. So far only 5 people have given feedback on these
and the balance currently tilts in favor of keeping no time information in
gnucash. For interested people, the two requests are here:
* http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/
6194177-add-an-optional-entry-time-field-to-the
* http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/
6194125-fix-the-moving-entry-date-problem-by-getting-rid-o

Regards,

Geert