Best way to handle multi-day "split" transaction?

replicon replicon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 08:30:47 EST 2016

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to best handle accounting for a property I
purchased.

There are two quirks making things a bit challenging:

QUIRK 1:

I helped the previous owner out financially a bunch in the past (e.g. paying
off taxes for the property, and a loan from a while back), and we made all
those payments part of the purchase price in the end.

So, it doesn't really make sense to have just the one split transaction as
is shown in the GNUCash tutorial example.

Right now, I have a "Paid in Capital" account in Equity with all those
transactions, and they're currently balanced against Expenses relating to
building purchase... and then I have an asset for the building that's
balaced against an opening account equity account.

This seems wrong, mainly because those various transactions that were
ultimately used for purchase really shouldn't be expenses running trough the
Profit and Loss.

What's the best way to model this? Since multi-day splits aren't supported,
it doesn't make sense to keep it as a single transaction, the way they do in
the tutorial here:
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/loans_mortgage1.html

QUIRK 2:

In addition to the above, I'm going to want to do linear depreciation, but
only on the building value, and not the land value. My accountant recommends
just taking the public assessment, which has the breakdown, and breaking
down the building cost in terms of those ratios, so we can do the
depreciation against just the building.

..

So, any best practice recommendations here? Maybe the building purchase
transactions could balance against a "negative asset" subaccount of the
building stuff?

Thanks!
Tamas