Best way to handle multi-day "split" transaction?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon Nov 28 10:14:31 EST 2016

On 11/28/2016 8:30 AM, replicon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to best handle accounting for a property I
> purchased.
>
> There are two quirks making things a bit challenging:
These aren't "quirks" but fundamental to doing the accounting for
property purchased (things like what "expenses" aren't expenses but part
of the purchase basis", "how to do depreciation", etc. . You problem
isn't with gnucash but accounting fundamentals which would be the same
no matter what your were using, even pen and ink on accounting paper.
Nor do we know the rules for your jurisdiction, since you haven't told
us what that is << and maybe nobody here would know the rules for THAT
jurisdiction in any case >>

You refer to "your accountant". Is this person not able to advise you
what to do? Perhaps not the level of detail "how do I enter this using
gnucash" but WHAT am I supposed to be entering in terms of what
accounts, etc.

Michael D Novack

PS: In case what I am saying isn't clear, consider your saying "I want
to depreciate just the building, not the land". That (most probably)
isn't an "I want" but "I am allowed to" << at least in the jurisdiction
where I have experience - you CAN'T depreciate the land. And by
indicating you don't know what to do, make it likely you have not
considered
total basis = land basis + building basis  (you can make those two
children of a parent, and now you have an obvious amount to depreciate,
with an account for "depreciation taken" a child there.

Your accountant should set up your CoA for you.