CSV importer poll ("Balance" column type)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Nov 29 08:17:22 EST 2016

Hi,

I'm currently working on the csv importer in gnucash, which is in need of some
love...

This is a question for those who have used this part of gnucash before:
Have you ever used the "Balance" column type on your import data ?
If so, second question: what kind of scenario is this used in ?

I understand it tries to use the balance information to calculate the expected
debit/credit for each transaction. The way this is implemented though looks
pretty fragile and will only work in a very strictly defined situation. And it
doesn't check if this situation is valid at all. So if no one is using it I
prefer removing this particular column type. If there is a valid use case, I
need more information to make it work reliably and prevent it from being used
in situations where it shouldn't.

Thanks,

Geert