Newbie - Need help with examples

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 13:30:39 EDT 2016

Hi,

Welcome to GnuCash. Generally, try reading the Tutorial & Concepts Guide.

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 8:51 PM, gargameow <lipchg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am not very familiar with accounting and new to this software. I am trying
> to use this to manage my personal accounts and finances. The following are
> my questions. Please help to provide details and examples on where to key in
> the values and why. Do bear with me as this is kinda long. Otherwise do
> advise or point me to any informational source that I can reference on how
> about getting this done. I have read the help file. Not really helping.
>
> 1) Borrow money from friend $4000 and use it to pay for insurance premium.
> To pay back friend in a monthly installment of $400 without interest. How to
> enter this into GNUCash and track it monthly.

Guide: Chapter 8
Borrow:
Liabilities:FriendLoan  credit $4000
Expenses:Insurance debit $4000

Payback:
Assets:Checking credit $400
Liabilities:FriendLoan debit $400

> 2) Borrow from bank of $200,000 to pay for house. Have to pay monthly
> interest and bank administration fee. Already paid around $90,000. How to
> enter this into GNUCash and track it monthly?

Again, Guide: Chapter 8, specifically, 8.4

> 3) Plan for a wedding and honeymoon holiday with estimated amount of $10,000
> to be used in 2018. How to use budget to enter this into GNUCash and track
> it monthly?

Probably best to use sub-accounts, but others might have suggestions. THe budget features, I don’t think, will meet your needs.

Cheers,
David