Disable Description column auto-resize

C. Andrews Lavarre alavarre at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 08:47:03 EDT 2016

Chris hi.
>Easy when you know how...
Thank you!!
> If you only have a small monitor and long
> descriptions, this may mean you need to set the size of the
> description to
> smaller than you'd like.
I am rather taciturn so this is not a problem... :-)
OTOH I am rather AR when it comes to functional decomposition, so my
account strings can get very long, e.g.,
	4Expense:Non-Discretionary Expense:Tax
Expense:Business:Unrefunded:Section 179:Hardware:Sec 179H 2016
So a difficulty when you can't see the whole thing...
> The register code is a very complicated and the developers seem to be
> rightly reticent about modifying it.

Roger that... No problem as long as there is another way. Like this
Since you have described the solution so eloquently perhaps they might
adopt your language and include it in said link:
	https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/basics-interf
ace1.html#basics-registersee the entire
> Once you have set the size of the register for each
> particular account, GnuCash remembers your column sizes.

I closed it and restarted. Yes it remembered the new sizes. Excellent.
> Thanks for bring this up. I had forgotten that double clicking on the
> Balance column heading reduces the column size to the bigger of either the
> data or the heading.

Thanks for the prompt help. This has been bugging me for years. Thanks
again!
Cheers, Andy Lavarre