File transfers

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Tue Oct 25 10:04:18 EDT 2016

On 10/24/2016 9:20 AM, gilloz via gnucash-user wrote:
> Hello:  I have a Desktop and a Laptop with the Linux Mint(LM) OS's installed.  My Laptop has LM 18 and my Desktop has LM 17.3 installed.  My Desktop has the GnuCash program installed.  My accounts are checking and saving accounts.  How would I go about transferring my GnuCash files from the LM 17.3 computer to the LM 18 Laptop?  I have no clue which file(s) to transfer to my LM 18 computer.  If you can't, can you direct me to a website where I can access this or any information that would help me?  File transfers in Windows using computers with Quicken is easy because all the information is located in one Q type file.  I don't see that trying to open any of the GnuCash files.  I also do not want to lose any of this data trying to figure out how to do this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

You are getting good advice on how to migrate the gnucash files. But let
me ask a question. Are you migrating (pretty much all your stuff) from
an old computer to a new one? And both are under the same operating
system? Then why would you want to migrate your data (all your data)
data from one application at a time?

I never do it that way, especially not if under the same operating
system, since things would be in the same directory on the new machine
as they were as on the old. Instead, I would copy over my entire data
directory. Then all data in one fell swoop.

Even when you are changing OS (or version of OS) there is usually a way
to do this task much easier than data associated with each application
one at a time. That is the first thing to take a look at. All 'nix OS's
use pretty much the same structure << in other words, your change of
version almost certainly is NOT going to affect what directory you need
to copy >>

Michael D Novack