Problems with printed Invoice format

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 07:27:37 EDT 2016

I looked into invoice pagination a few years ago.   It turns out it does half a job if you save the invoice as HTML and then bring it up in the right browser to print.
To do a full job would mean things like getting (page 1 of n) on the first page, and putting at least some headers at the top of pages 2 through n - optionally letterhead.   But at least rows aren’t broken in the middle.

What this is about is a directive - either HTML or CSS (been too long, I forget which) that tells the browser to keep everything in a cell of a table together when printing.  Turns out that directive, while standardized, is optional, and it is not implemented in the HTML reader/display system used by GNUCash, or (if I recall correctly - and it may have changed) by Safari. The directive is being emitted, it is just being ignored, as permitted by the standard.

I haven’t had a customer for which I have long invoices in several years, so this is all from memory, but we used to have one quite regularly, and my work process was to save as HTML, edit out of the HTML the lines I didn’t need (total tax on a completely non-taxable invoice; subtotal before tax) and then print from a browser that broke the table between cells - at the time it was Firefox.

I don’t know which browsers currently implement that directive, as I haven’t had the issue since we dropped that customer.

To really do it right would likely require a total re-write of the report generation to generate PDF or the like (something that really understands pages) - without passing through HTML  But integrating a PDF viewer across all platforms is not as easy as integrating an HTML viewer across all platforms.