Fwd: send one payment to 2 invoices with specific amount per invoice

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Sep 7 03:49:42 EDT 2016

On Wednesday 07 September 2016 13:52:45 __ wrote:
> thanks @Dave and sorry, maybe I have not made myself clear enough. I
> am talking about 2 posted invoices and one payment which I intend to
> "assign as payment" to that specific invoices. I think the method you
> have described is just splitting one incoming transaction into 2
> splits on the other side.
>
> However As soon as you use the "assign as payment" function and choose
> the 2 related invoices GC takes the entire amount (no matter into how
> many splits you may have spitted it up to) and balances it against
> the older of those 2 invoices. Only if after that there is money left
> over the remaining will be posted against the newer invoice
>

> This provides correct numbers when you want to see what total amount a
> customer might still owe you, but does not support the usecase I am
> facing (and which I believe is not so unusual).

You can achieve this, by cheating a bit :)

Before assigning you payment to the two invoices, make a temporary payment to the oldest
invoice for the amount you want to have *unpaid* in your end result.

Then use "Assign as payment" to assign your original payment to both invoices at once.

Lastly remove the temporary payment again.

Voila...

An example in numbers:
Invoice 1: 100€ of which 80€ to be paid
Invoice 2: 70€ of which 30€ to be paid
Payment : 110€

1. Make a temporary payment of 100€ - 80€ = 20€ against invoice 1
2. Assign the 110,- € payment to invoice 1 and 2. As invoice one only has 80€ open due to the
temporary payment, 30€ will be assigned to invoice 2
3. Remove the temporary payment (simply delete the payment transaction). Now invoice 1 will
have 20€ unpaid again, or 80€ paid which is the state we wanted to achieve.

Regards,

Geert