Recording Inventory for retail sale and manufacturing

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Sep 7 12:06:31 EDT 2016

On 9/7/2016 10:46 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi Sarah,
>
> "Sarah Oloya" <sarah.oloya at waribe.net> writes:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I have a business that processes and also sells finished products. I am
>> trying to setup accounts in GnuCash, but inventory account for businesses
>> such as mine seem to be difficult to find. Can anyone help to me the right
>> direction?
> Unfortunately GnuCash really doesn't have an Inventory subsystem.
> You can fake it by using Stocks for your inventory widgets.
> Or you can just track your Inventory Value in Asset accounts.
>
> Hope this helps,

An "inventory system" isn't normally a "subsystem" of an accounting
package but a separate system that both sends and receives "feeds" from
an accounting package. There is a great deal of stuff which an inventory
system should track unrelated to  the money part of things << examples
might be "where shelved", "reorder point" "supplier information" (and
alternate supplier information), etc. >>

A "point of sales" system is another example of a system that would feed
an accounting package (and an inventory package)

That some commercial product might be including an accounting package,
an inventory package, a point of sales package, etc. does not make these
other things "parts" of the accounting package. In other words, a
"complete business package" might include all of these.

Michael