Troubleshooting Section?

james garftd at verizon.net
Tue Sep 13 09:33:14 EDT 2016

On 09/13/2016 05:08 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Sunday 11 September 2016 07:46:04 John Ralls wrote:
>>> On Sep 10, 2016, at 10:49 PM, David T. via gnucash-user
>>> <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Being a long time user of GnuCash and subscriber to this list, I
>>> have experienced firsthand and seen others struggle to get various
>>> aspects of GnuCash working or fixed. Many times, the solution is
>>> found by searching the list history, or by consulting the Wiki.
>>> This is not something that is apparent to many new users of the
>>> software.

+1

>>> I wonder whether it would be useful or productive to create a
>>> separate Troubleshooting section in the Tutorial and Concepts
>>> Guide, with chapters covering broad areas of the software, that
>>> address some of the more common issues that come up.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?

I recently needed to upgrade from 2.4.11 to 2.6.13, as I use Gentoo
linux. There are snippets of suggestions all over the docs. Migration
as simple as one version to the next to migration from one major version
to the next, is platform specific, in many cases. Then there
is the issue of migration from one machine to another, or one machine
to a cloud or a local cluster, VM on container. It is a topic that
should be in a completely separate document, imho. A general structure
to the isssue, then chapters (some rich, some TBD) per different types
of scenarios, would be a much better way to organize such a commonly
used document.

Another valid section would be interoperability and data migration
between commercial offerings (quickbooks etc) and other open source
platforms should at least warrant a chapter on it's own and not
sprinkled about like seasonings on a holiday feast.
I guess what I'm say is consolidation by platform, then relevance to a
specific subtopic is a filter that the entire documentation set(s) need
to become better organized.

I would be willing to participate in such documentation upgrades, if the
project is serious about cleaning up the current document offerings.
Keep the old and the new docs around until the new docs completely
subsume the what good about the old(current) docs.
The current documents looks as if random random tidbits are strewn
about, that may or may not be useful. Much of the documentation is quite
dated. I also installed the documentation package "gnucash-docs",
determined it was 'docbook' and have no idea what needs to be done to
these documents codes to display a useful help-guide. Maybe the gentoo
dev did a poor job or maybe a generic write up or reference on how to
complete the installation and use 'docbook' files is not properly
packaged up and explained. Regardless, I have not yet discovered how to
use the documents inside of this package either.

In short, it just looks like the documents need an overarching theme
and consistency so they 'flow' one to another and there is a provision
for newly discerned information and details, per platform, to be made
available for users to provide new an relevant experiences to the docs.
Maybe not formally but as current addendum or current examples or
current issues. Good information is buried in the ML and elsewhere and
is never filtered into a form for easy retrieval, imho.
I'd suggest separation  of Windows from linux, for starters. Leverage
the CLI method and CLI syntax, but link to gui or tool interfaces that
are relevant when available. Screenshots are nice too, particularly for
Windows users.

Another idea is a User Tip section, distro specific, where users can
easily include new tidbits and examples, with a 'caveat emptor' warning,
until the information can be formally reviewed and integrated. The docs
main issue is 'adhoc' and 'sporadic' attention, rather that proper
maintenance. Like it or not, documentation in open source is keenly
important, as there is no helpline. Perhaps listing a set of low cost
consultants that charge by the 15 minute cycle to help users for modest
fees, realtime, is another venue to give users choice and better support?

  Also, maybe every 6 months the user experience addendum could be
parsed for formal inclusion into the formal documents, just to keep them
fresh and relevant.  Call is a documentation update day and routinely
schedule it for long time users and devs to all pitch to review things
and devote part of one day for fixes, clarifications and updates. Even
once a year would be a keen idea, imho.

hth,
James

>> I'd think that that would work better on the wiki than in the static
>> documentation; in fact the FAQ page has a lot of troubleshooting info
>> already.

> The FAQ has a lot if troubleshooting info indeed. However I believe in it's current form it's
> difficult to query. I think the FAQ has become too long to be practical and not really well
> structured. I can imagine people look at it and get lost quickly.

+1

> Note the FAQ starts with "The contents of this FAQ will eventually be merged into the official
> GnuCash documentation" which actually encourages David's idea...
>
> My primary reservation is duplication of effort. Having both a FAQ and troubleshooting
> documentation in the guide means both have to be maintained. From experience I see the wiki
> has a lower barrier to contribution than the static documentation has (for all good reasons).
>
> If we decide to each troubleshooting item in either the faq or the static documentation, the
> burden is moved on the user's shoulders who now has to search two places to get help.
>
> Having said that I'd welcome a higher quality kind of trouble shooting guide for users. Perhaps
> John's suggestion to do this on the wiki may be a good first experiment.

+1. Use the wiki for concurrent feedback of information, current issues
and examples. Centralized issues and sectional guide should be in a
formal document, particulary things that do not change across major
revisions. The minutia of current and platform specifics should be
concentrated in the wiki. Users should have a mechanism to add current
examples to the wiki too.  Periodically scan/filter the wiki for formal
revisions to the main, offcial document(s).

Split windows from linux, or at leat put them in separate sections of
the documents, even when similar. mixing windows and linux manuals
rarely works, and is often the source of great confusion, when a windows
user only knows a little about about linux (enough to get them in
trouble). If you have to mix windows with linux, limit it to *buntu.

hth,
James