Computer illiterate needs help migrating

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 20 05:24:41 EDT 2016

> On Sep 20, 2016, at 7:45 AM, DaveC49 <davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Emily,
>
> Your Gnucash files will be stored in the folder you specified when you
> originally created the file. The main file  is of the form
>      <filename>.gnucash.
>
> In the same folder you will aslo have back up and log files. They have the
> form
>    <filename>.gnucash.yyyymmddnnnnnn.gnucash
> and
>    <filename>.gnucash.yyyymmddnnnnnn.log
> where yyyymmdd is the date on which they were created and nnnnnn is a 6
> digit number ( possibly random - not sure on that).
>
> The backup and log files are created every time you open and then close
> Gnucash. If your old machine is still available I would locate the folder
> with them in and then copy it to the new machine. If not search for the
> folder on the new machine. If you did not specify a folder to put them in,
> they would most likely be in your home folder.
>
> It would be a good practice to put them in a folder of their own if they are
> not already. To access then use the open file dialog from the menu and then
> navigate to the folder they are in and open the <filename>.gnucash  file.

And the configuration files with things like what tabs are open and window position and size are in ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash where "~" means your home folder. Library is usually hidden from Finder; you can reveal it with View Options or go to it directly from the Go>Go to Folder... menu selection. If you're not able to find your accounts files try searching for "*.gnucash" in Finder; you can open a search box with command-F or File>Find.

Regards,
John Ralls