Computer illiterate needs help migrating

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 20 09:05:04 EDT 2016

Hi,

Emily has become Emiliano??

It is better to post on the forum rather than emailing me directly.  You
will get answers from a greater range of people who may have more direct
experience related to your problem. For example one of the Gnucash
developers John Ralls tacked on additional comments to my post. John works
on a Mac so his comments are more specific to the Mac environment ( e.g. Mac
file locations) whereas I work on Unix. Many things are the same on
different systems with regard to internal operation of Gnucash but the
details of the installation and file locations particularly can be operating
system dependent. Others may be able to comment  from experience from the
details you have described.

It is possible although given the names on the rest of the files I would
have expected it to be contomio.gnucash.  The concatenation of the filenames
indicates that you may have opened a backup file rather than the original
file and that a backup of it has been created in turn. If the original file
is not there, try going through the backup files starting with the most
recent to see if you can find one which has the original account structure
it.  If you do find one which has the intact account structure then you
could rename it to a <new filename>.gnucash. It is possible you may lose any
transactions which have been entered since the original backup file was
opened. If you can list  the files with the date they were created it may
help in sorting this out. The chances are your last good backup will be
named contomio.gnucash.201609171119

Cheers

David