Importing Customers and Vendors from Sage Line 50

Wm <Wm... wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 09:03:08 EDT 2016

On 20/09/2016 12:48, Uttam Chakravorty wrote:
> Dear Wm,
>
> Thank you for the work you all are doing.  I found exporting the csv from Sage, reordering the data and importing it into Gnucash could be better.

That tends to be a one off.

I agree there are some repeat occurrences, mainly Mercan people trying
to escape their apparent software of choice but given that people often
shoe-horn stuff into software (e.g. I have observed the Town field is
used for other data here in the UK as we know the PostCode is the actual
geographic indicator).

> I have fixed my problem and what I did I hope may help others.
> It was hard to struggle past the discouraged stage and as I didn't
know where the problem lay, I could not ask for help.

Ah, in that case I must apologise for something I didn't do and didn't
know I had done wrong :)

> I suggest the issue is in how GnuCash's import tool parses the csv.
> It works when there is a blank after the last entry.
> I think I may be experiencing this issue because I am using very short
entries that do not fill in all the options.

comma comma representing no value should work
is your issue trailing NULL entries not being created by Sage, e.g.
,,,,,,,, at the end of the lines?

Another UK person may correct me but Sage 50 enquiries are rare.  The
wonderful thing about Sage 50 is that it is so plain and ordinary that
people that are experienced with exporting and importing just don't
notice a problem.

I have more than one version of Sage to hand, please be exact about what
you are struggling with, e.g. show an actual csv line you think isn't
managing the transition as well as one that is.

> Perhaps this could be addressed in the code that imports the csv.  Whether it can or not is beyond me and therefore merely a suggestion.

Nope.  GnuCash is open source, *we* will not write for Sage, doesn't
mean you shouldn't.  See that clearly, please?  If *you* want something
you do it.  I do not mean to be unfriendly, just describing.

> Could you confirm if I am using this mailing list properly?

Looks OK to me but you should also know that the list owners think I am
some sort of serial abuse freak.  Make of that what you will.  Check
with Liz if you are unsure, I think she is a rather unusual antipodean.

--
Wm