File Format Decision

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Sep 21 12:58:05 EDT 2016

Hi Michael,

Here are a few considerations:

- If you prefer every entry you make is immediately saved to the backend
store, sql is the better choice. It eliminates the need to press the
save button from time to time. This is also the main reason sql was
introduced into gnucash in the first place.

- If you wish to generate reports outside of gnucash (assuming the
included reports don't fit your need), using an sql format is probably
easier as you can write sql queries that operate directly on the data.
One should only query for data this way, never alter data by the way.

I don't know of any other strong benefits of the sql backend.

Multi-user concurrent access is not possible with gnucash. Not with the
xml backend and not with the sql backend. So this is no criterion to
choose by.

The sql backend is not faster. It currently loads slower than the xml
backend. And once the data is loaded gnucash does all queries in memory
instead of from the database. Changes are written immediately to the
database though at the same time as the data in memory is changed. In
theory this makes each change operation slightly slower, but that's
unnoticeable.

So the sql backend is not faster for large data sets either.

Lastly, the developers still consider the sql backend less well tested.
All *known* issues with it are fixed. However from time to time a new
corner case issue pops up that wasn't covered yet.

So in summary, while the word "sql" is suggesting "professional",
"large-scale" and all other things associated with databases, unless you
have a compelling reason to use it, the xml backend will do just fine.
For my interpretation of "compelling reason", see the first two
considerations.

Does that help to pick your preferred backend ?

Regards,

Geert