Regular expressions in GnuCash

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Sep 24 13:33:59 EDT 2016

Larry,

On Sat, September 24, 2016 12:52 pm, Larry Evans wrote:
> On 09/24/2016 05:16 AM, Liz wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 13:09:46 +0500
>> "David T. via gnucash-user" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>

> David, maybe this "request for enhancement" could use libreoffice calc's
> Standard Filter as a starting point.  This Standard filter allows
> selecting columns and criteria on those columns joined by And or Or
> logical operators.  An example is attached.  The example shows filter
> to select check no. between 1000 and 1200.

The problem is that the "Number" column isn't a numeric data field.  It's
a free-form string.  So what does ">=" "1000" mean when the input is
FooBar?

You'll note that the search dialog *IS* very similar to the graphic you
posted.  The main difference here is that, as I (and others) have said:
The "Num" column is a string, not a number, so the search provides string
functions, not numeric functions.

> HTH.
>
> -regards,
> Larry

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745