Posted A/R invoice credited to checking account [RESOLVED]

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 4 11:10:56 EDT 2017

Rich,

Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>  Yep. That was the problem.
>
>   I recognize now that these issues I'm encountering are due to the
> differences between GnuCash and the business bookkeeping software I used
> from 2000 through the end of last year.
>
>   The latter had default accounts; e.g., all invoices defaulted to A/R and
> to the Professional Services income account while each vendor's bill
> defaulted to the appropriate expense account. If GC has this capability I've
> not yet found it.

Invoices do default to A/R, and in fact you MUST "post" it to A/R.
Think of an invoice as an extended single transaction, where you're
entering in all the single-entry splits.  Every line-item in an invoice
is an Income or Asset that, once you post, balances into A/R.

Just like every other entry, GnuCash cannot guess what Income or Asset
account you want each entry to go to.  There's some history, so it can
auto-fill with previously entered data.  But new data is unclear.

Once you post it, the system will build a single transaction between A/R
and all the accounts you entered in the Invoice itself.

Hope this helps!