Report tab displays all white - worked last time (Aug 2016)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Apr 6 12:01:59 EDT 2017

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 7:58 AM, Rufus <rlaggren at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hope this post gets the topic into it's own thread. Don't know how I
> tagged onto the previous subject...
>
> Running GC from CLI displays what looks like a smoking gun:
>
> gnucash
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/gnucash/python/init.py", line 3, in <module>
>    from gnucash import *
> ImportError: No module named gnucash
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.37
> Vector smash protection is enabled.
> openjdk version "1.8.0_121"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 3.3.0) (suse-23.1-x86_64)
> Vector smash protection is enabled.
>
> It can't find the right python module. I've had problems w/python links
> before in other apps. Don't know what Suse is doing; maybe has to do
> with installing software from 3rd parties that somehow changes the
> default paths, priorities or overwrites stuff.
>
> Does anybody know the required file names and/or the paths GS uses to
> look for it's python dependencies? I suspect the files are actually
> installed somewhere, just not where GC expects...  Also, what python
> version does GC require? I think I have 2.7xxx and at one time maybe a
> 3.1 version - but I don't know if both are available through environment
> paths or whether they play nice.
>
> What environment variables does GC look at/use?

Rufus,

Don't worry about python, that's not the problem nor is the OpenJDK noise. GnuCash doesn't use Java for anything at all and the [ython error comes from a little-used python console demo that someone inserted several years ago. (To answer the question, it needs Python2.7 and probably puts the python modules in /usr/share/gnucash somewhere; you'd need to add that to $PYTHONPATH for it to find the module.)

GnuCash uses the usual localization environment variables and also GNC_DOT_DIR to designate something other than ~/.gnucash.

Is there any console output past those messages? Have you examined gnucash.trace?

Regards,
John Ralls