Budget reports show current income as negative value

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Fri Apr 7 08:12:23 EDT 2017

On 4/6/2017 7:27 PM, marcin wrote:
> Adrien,
>
> Thank you for your meticulous approach........ I could even make my
> budget report graphs showing positive value for a new (test) income. But to
> get that result I had to make my income as spending and reduce my balance in
> account registry.
>
> I also realised that when entering income into bank account registry it also
> comes up as income in my income account (category). I think it should be
> debit not an income (If money goes from income account (category) to my bank
> account registry).
>
> It seems to be very confusing. I think this is a bug.

No, almost certainly that you are new to double entry bookkeeping and
having trouble with the fundamental concepts. For example:

You receive a paycheck which you deposit into your bank account:
    That would be a debit to your bank account and a credit to your
income account and BOTH of those are increases to those accounts because
for an account of type asset, debit is an increase, while for an account
of type income, credit is an increase. The net effect on your books
(total debits vs total credits) is zero as it should be.

Is that understood or not understood? We have to be clear about THAT
before we can discuss whether some behavior you observe is a bug.

Michael D Novack