Gnucash Crash and "No Suitable backend was found"

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 08:39:37 EDT 2017

On 13 April 2017 at 15:41, rileyelem <riley.vittitoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running this on Windows 10.
>
> I have been using Gnucash for more than a year. Yesterday I was using it at
> the same time as a few other things were open. The program crashed and took
> Windows down with it. The computer restarted itself and I tried to reopen
> Gnucash but started getting the error message "No Suitable backend was
> found"
>
> The data file is there where I saved it in the Documents/Accounts/ folder
> I check for the .gcm file in the User directory and it is there
> I tried reinstalling gnucash
> I tried opening data files in Notepad++ but all I see a bunch of NUL

If you look in the same folder as the accounts file (called something
like youraccounts.gnucash) you will see the backup files that GC takes
each time it saves. These will be called
youraccounts.gnucash.yyyymmddhhmmss.gnucash where the timestamp string
indicates when the backup was made. If your accounts file is corrupted
you should be able to go back to the previous backup and open that
(using File > Open). Once you find a good one don't forget to use File
> Save As to save it with another name without the timestamp.

Alternatively you could go back to the latest backup of the file that
you routinely take in case of major disaster. Don't forget that a PC
or disc may go up in smoke (literally or metaphorically) at any
moment, taking all your important data with it, if you do not do
routine backups.

Colin