gnucash-user Digest, Vol 169, Issue 34

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 10:31:35 EDT 2017

Stroller,

I haven’t used the wizard for quite some time, so I can’t help with the possibility of adding those entries at that point.

However, it is quite trivial to accomplish opening entries after an account is created. You can even edit those entries later if needed.

Simply enter a new transaction in your chosen account and give it the description of Opening Balance (your choice). If this is an asset account, debit the account for the starting amount, and credit Equity:Opening Balances. If this is a liability account, then credit the liability and debit Equity:Opening Balances.

Done.

Oh, be sure to date the transaction appropriately as the date you opened the book the first time if that is the actual date of that balance. Otherwise, if you don’t have prior transactions for that account and just want to start from the amount you have at the moment, today’s date is fine.

Regards,

Adrien