Reply at the top or reply at the bottom?

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Fri Apr 21 16:33:04 EDT 2017

If I may offer yet another religious and political view on top posting
versus bottom posting versus inline, I tend to use whatever is the
default of the email client, and then try to imagine I'm communicating
with individuals of varying familiarity with the language.  If it's
English, I try to summarise and answer in one sentence or paragraph
and quote the pertinent text in that paragraph with <<quotes>>.  I
then try to expand somewhat more in a second paragraph if necessary.
Then if the mood strikes me I'll warn that everything after that is
tl;dr and let each recipient on the list decide if it is worth reading
through.

This works with top posting.  It gives readers more context if they
find that helpful.  It warns readers who need less context to skip
what they don't need. I'm told this method also tends to mimic how
individuals develop skills in other languages.

The test of this reply is tl;dr.  Skip it if you don't need it.
VaxMail, mailx, and other older clients (pine, elm) work fine, but
gmail's browser client has the advantage of being largely OS agnostic
with decent spam detection.  The huge disadvantage is that you are
trusting google with your data, but who knows, maybe with encryption
that is less risky (but my guess is that Google can decrypt any data
on their servers).  Pick your poison.  I pay for google business to
host our domain, so that if they become too intrusive we can just
change our mail server settings and move elsewhere.  But most people
are pretty much stuck with whatever their mail host (and employer)
offers.

Gordon