GNUCash value proposition

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 13:02:04 EDT 2017

I am not a Quicken convert, but I'll point out a benefit of entering your
transactions manually as Russell and CM suggest: It gives you a point of
comparison when doing a bank reconciliation.

The purpose of an account reconciliation is to make sure that your view of
your accounts with an outside entity match their view of your accounts with
them. If you think you deposited $500 into your bank account, you want to
be sure the bank thinks the same thing. If the bank thinks you paid $354
via a debit card, you want to be sure that you agree. If you don't agree,
then there's a problem -- either the bank made an error, you made an error,
or something nefarious is going on.

If you import transactions that your bank says you did, then that
fraudulent $354 debit card transaction will become part of your personal
record of what happened in your account. You won't catch it unless you
review your transactions. Reconciliation will say "Yep, the bank says I
spent $354, my records says I spent $354, so OK, everything's good". And
you're out $354.

On the other hand, if you manually enter your transactions, then do a
reconciliation, then you will see the $354 transaction from the bank, but
not in your records, and you have an opportunity to go "wait, what's up
here?" and catch the fraud. You would also catch the $25 birthday check you
gave your nephew that he hasn't cashed yet, and the $25 birthday check to
your niece that you forgot to record that she *has* cashed. None of those
would be noticed if you imported your transaction report from the bank.