Question regarding documenting Reversing Transactions

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Apr 28 06:26:21 EDT 2017

On woensdag 26 april 2017 00:39:08 CEST Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 4/25/2017 2:21 PM, david.carlson.417 wrote:
> > David T,
> > My personal preference would be to   replace the line under the
> > description with a comment similar to "Reverses transaction dated
> > mm/dd/yyyy" David C
>
> And here is where I would express a strong preference for "free form"
> because SIMPLY reversing a transaction is not the only sort of
> "reversing" transaction. I might be wanting to say things like
> "correcting the amount" or "posting to correct account", etc.

If with "Free form" you mean "User editable" I can agree.

However the default text should definitely mention "Reversing" as that's the
true intended behavior of the "Revert transaction" menu option.

Other than tat it's great to see others are creatively using it to avoid
laborious typing.

On vrijdag 28 april 2017 01:40:15 CEST Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> Could an additional “jump” entry be placed in the context menu for reversed
> transactions? Instead of the current jump to the ledger on the other side
> of a split, this jump would hop to the transaction that has been reversed.

Anything is possible as long as there's someone with time available to
implement :)

More seriously, while certainly possible it will be more challenging to
implement this without cluttering the interface and avoid confusion because of
the other meaning of jump. Still such a direct link could be very convenient.

> An additional UI helper might be to use the NUM or ACTION fields to indicate
> that this is a Reversing/Correcting transaction.

Good suggestion as well.

David T.,

Thanks for starting the discussion. You brought up a good point and it
solicited several good additional suggestions. As far as I'm concerned please
go ahead and file it as an enhancement request. I think our uservoice instance
[1] is the best spot for this as it allows vote. This gives useful feedback
about what users consider priority with regards to new features to add.

Geert

[1] https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request