For UK users: Will gnucash get ready for Making Tax, Digital ?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Aug 1 06:37:53 EDT 2017

On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 11:24:19 BST Alain Williams wrote:

> > Out of curiosity, who wants MTD?
>
> I don't. It will involve me in a lot of extra work that adds nothing to my
> business.
>
> I am happy with doing VAT on-line -- just login to HMRC web site, enter a
> few numbers into a web page, download a PDF and transfer some money -
> simple.

+1

VAT already seems quite digital enough, thank you.

Just by way of a comment - the HMRC Basic PAYE tools (for payroll reporting),
which is available for (32 bit) linux and some other operating systems keeps a
local database and (allegedly) just sends xml (or json, haven't paid much
attention) submissions to HMRC when told to.

But really, VAT is so much simpler than PAYE, so sending the correct 6 numbers
to HMRC 4 times a year seems to me that the current web form should be quite
adequate.  Don't really see the advantages (even from their point of view) of
anything more complicated.  Low hanging fruit, perhaps, for the government to
actually claim to have delivered an IT project nearly on time and nearly on
budget?!

Maf.