For UK users: Will gnucash get ready for Making Tax, Digital ?

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 14:02:32 EDT 2017

As far as I am aware, there shouldn't be any licensing issues on the FOSS
side about including a government-granted key in the distribution. There
are severe technical issues, which may impact licensing, in keeping the
government-granted key a secret. Since the last bit is the important part,
as far as the government key-granter is concerned, it becomes a problem.
The nature of FOSS doesn't prevent people from making derivatives of the
software and use the same key, which is also a problem as far as the
government key-granter is concerned.

There are also philosophical issues with creating FOSS software you can't
change without breaking functionality, which the government-granted
key-branding of authorized software would do. From the government
key-grantor's perspective, changing the software invalidates the key, even
if there isn't any way for them to tell. If it's illegal to use an invalid
key (or a key from a different software package), then merely doing what
FOSS is intended to allow you to do is breaking the law. If there's no way
to modify a piece of FOSS software legally, is it really FOSS? I think not.