For UK users: Will gnucash get ready for Making Tax, Digital ?

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Tue Aug 15 16:08:45 EDT 2017

I see what you mean now... this seems similar to the copyright
related laws in China (which unfortunatelly make GPL'd software in a state
similar to public domain), there was a debate about this in
libreplanet-discuss
([[https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bsubject%3A%7Bsuggestion%2Fhelp.+GPL+enforcement.%7D&submit=Search%21&idxname=libreplanet-discuss&max=20&result=normal&sort=date%3Alate]]),
and so far, it's considered that, in the case of China, an *inside*
change is needed, although it doesn't turn the software as non-free, it
does pose a problem for GPL enforcement in China.

I guess the same *inside* intervention is needed in the case of those
affected by Making Tax Digital.

I guess the proccess of MTD could be simplified if the signature check
would be made against the accountant's signature (the person responsible
for things like: registering the transactions, checking if the
transactions registered by third-parties are correct, closing the
periodic book, and so on). The files produced by such accountant could
be signed using techniques like GnuPG.

However, I would like to note that it's important to avoid signing
techniques such as CAdES, XAdES and PAdES, because:

- I don't know if there is free/libre firmware that works with signing
  tokens.

- I don't know if there is free/libre module/driver that is able to
  interact with the token's firmware.

- I don't know if there is free/libre software that is able to
  understand how to understand, define and call basic operations
  concerning these standards.

This was indeed a recent debate during FLISoL 2017 Balneário Camboriú
([[https://flisol.info/FLISOL2017/Brasil/BalnearioCamboriu]]), a free
software event that happened in the city of Balneário Camboriú, Santa
Catarina, Brazil, Latin America. In that event, those involved noticed
the lack of knowledge of the existance of free/libre software to deal
with these standards.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com