Adding quantity to expenses

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Aug 2 06:14:34 EDT 2017

On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 14:47:02 BST edamiani wrote:
> Hi, I started using GnuCash with the goal of tracking my expenses and
> generating reports, but one important thing for me would be storing the
> quantity of an expense and automatically generating the resulting expense
> from that. For instance: if I buy 0.8 kg of cheese for $10 the kilogram, I
> would like to write down the quantity that I've bought (0.8 kg), the unity
> (or kilogram) price ($10) and extract the resulting expense from it ($8). Is
> it possible to achieve this kind of thing with GnuCash?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Edgard

Hi Edgard,

you can store that sort of info in the notes/memo fields of a transaction- but
that may not be what you are looking for, as you will still have to do a
manual calculation.

The other coice that you might be able to make work for you is to use the
business features - a bill has quantity & unit cost columns.  But it might
make things overly complicated.

HTH,
Maf.