Downloading Financial Information from Canadian Financial Institutions

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Sat Aug 12 13:37:09 EDT 2017

> On Aug 12, 2017, at 12:33 PM, Fred Weihs <fweihs at fweihs.ca> wrote:
>
> I have just installed GnuCash as a replacement in Linux for Quick Cash Manager which I used under Windows. I will need to download transactions from my Canadian financial institution. When I check the process for downloading into GnuCash, the directory of financial institutions to connect with are all American. Can I download from a Canadian institution?

Maybe. There are two ways to download and import data: The easier one is if your bank provides a download option on its website to download transactions as OFX, QFX, or QIF. Do that and then use File>Import>OFX/QFX or File>Import>QIF to import the downloaded file into GnuCash. The other method is to use OnlineBanking, which is provided by a separately-developed facility called AQBanking. In order for that to work your bank must support a protocol called OFX-DirectConnect and you must be able to obtain the necessary information and credentials to tell GnuCash how to connect. More information on the latter method may be found at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2 <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2>.

Regards,
John Ralls