Duplicate transactions & OFX imports

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Aug 14 17:54:28 EDT 2017

On Monday, 14 August 2017 22:13:06 BST Actinistia wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm just learning Gnucash and am new to accounting software as a whole. The
> problem I am having is with duplicate transactions for credit card payments.
> One from my checking account statement which I import into my Assets -
> checking and then transfer to Expense - credit card payments.

Hi.  Welcome to GC & the list.  I don't import transactions, but your sentence
above is describing an incorrect action.   The payment to the credit card is
not an expense.  You should have a transfer Bank -> Liability:CreditCard.   Or
else, your card bill will never go down!

> Another from
> my credit card statement which gets imported into Liabilities credit card
> which I then transfer to Assets - checking? That fixed the imbalance but
> leaves me with two entries in my checking account for the same transaction.
> Is there a way to mark them as duplicates and have Gnucash collapse them
> into one? Should I just delete one in such a case?

Yes, I think you should delete the duplicate from the 2nd import - but as I
say, I don't use that bit of GC, so not 100% sure.

HTH,
Maf.