Duplicate transactions & OFX imports

Actinistia brinston at ualberta.ca
Mon Aug 14 17:13:06 EDT 2017

Hello,
I'm just learning Gnucash and am new to accounting software as a whole. The
problem I am having is with duplicate transactions for credit card payments.
One from my checking account statement which I import into my Assets -
checking and then transfer to Expense - credit card payments. Another from
my credit card statement which gets imported into Liabilities credit card
which I then transfer to Assets - checking? That fixed the imbalance but
leaves me with two entries in my checking account for the same transaction.
Is there a way to mark them as duplicates and have Gnucash collapse them
into one? Should I just delete one in such a case?

>From searching the forum the common advice is to import your checking and
credit card (presumably savings as well) in one go so that the importer can
flag duplicates. My problem is that I am having to import as OFX files which
so far as I can tell does not allow for importation of multiple files in one
go. Or am I missing something?

Although my bank does have QIF as a download option they seem to be
improperly coding the credit card QIF files and Gnucash reads them as if
they are empty. I opened them in notepad and they do contain transactions so
I presume its the coding that has been done incorrectly. Even if there is a
way to remedy this I don't really want to fixing every credit card QIF and
I've tried calling my bank for customer support and they have no idea what
I'm talking about.