Gnucash limitation from accountant perspective

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Tue Aug 15 14:46:28 EDT 2017

On 8/14/2017 11:08 AM, seng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently let my business's bookkeeping done by Gnucash with the help of an
> accountant. She is familiar with Tally (a famous accounting package used
> herein India) and new to Gnucash. She feels several key/core functionality
> are missing in Gnucash which are found in Tally. I'd like to know whether
> they really got missed or she has trouble recognizing those features in
> Gnucash.
Trouble recognizing features
> 1) When I tried to extract Profit and loss report for 1-4-2017 to 31- 03
> 2017, the end date automatically changes to 02/27/1899
Not knowing how to set begin and end date for the "Income Statement" report
> 2)Gnu cash mixes everything in a single page, which is not correct from
> accounting point of view. Profit and Loss should be disclosed separately and
> Balance sheet should be disclosed separately.
Page breaks can be arranged for. I never bother doing this INSIDE
gnucash as I am always exporting the raw reports so that they can be
edited << and THERE is where I can make different things different font
size, make bold, etc. including where I want page breaks >>

> 3) Profit and loss should show income and expenditure: Balance sheet show
> assets and liabilites: Hence Gnu cash is lacking this point, as far as I'm
> concerned
Huh? WHAT reports are you running? In any case, P&L should show income
and expenses. An "expenditure" might not be an expense. I find it very
hard to believe that an accountant would imagine it had to be.

> 4) If we want to know the profit for any month, we may find it difficult to
> arrive at
No, you can have any start and stop date you specify. Start on the first
of the month and end on the last of that month.

Michael D Novack