OFX data file question

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 21:13:48 EDT 2017

http://www.ofx.net/

  On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 17:12, Jeffrey Black<beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:   I'm not sure where to look to find this information.  I am looking for a
description/list of the <TAG> fields GnuCash uses or rather needs out of
OFX/QFX files.

I am tired of GnuCash screaming at me on any of the ofx/qfx transactions it
imports if I miss keying in a receipt.

Every transaction I miss keying in it screams :"HEY IDIOT YOU HAVE AN OFX
TRANSACTION HERE FROM ONO MARIO CAS".  Since we are pretty much creatures of
habit I know that the transaction is :"Casey's Marionvile Farm Fuel".  I do
not need 9 leading zeroes on check numbers, lop em off.  Checks posted
electronically at Wally World have a check number in the <NAME> field, find
it put it in the <CHKNUM> field.  I habitually put "txfr", "dbt" and  "eft"
in check number fields.  Same problem with credit cards, the fields are all
upper case, that is as far as I am concerned screaming.

I managed to learn enough Perl to rewrite Lloyd's Perl script for PayPal
csv2qif to give me qif files I could use to fairly easily make sense of the
mess my wife makes of business and personal accounts with PayPal.  Now I am
working on trying to make ofx/qfx files that shall we say are more "pretty".

The problem is I am not good enough with Perl, yet, to put all the fields
the script reads in back in the output file in the right order unless I am
specifically look for them,  or I have to add one (like adding <CHCKNUM>).

What I need to know is where to find what fields GnuCash's importer expects
to find in a credit card type file and in a bank file.  Can anyone out there
tell me where to go..eh rephrase that.  Where can I find the information on
what the importer thinks it needs to properly import an ofx/qfx file?

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

I'm beginning to wish I had just fired up a Pascal or COBOL compiler and
been done with it but; gotta do something to keep these old brain cells
learning new tricks.