Importing bookings with accounts fully assigned

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 18 11:05:28 EDT 2017

Cornelis Bockemühl <cornelis at bockemuehl.ch> writes:

> Good morning,
>
> Does anybody know a way or a specific data format that allows to import
> bookings into Gnucash that have already their "counter booking"
> (probably not the correct bookkeeper's language...)?

QIF supports this by using the LCategory or L[Account] features to
specify the QIF Category (Income/Expense) or the QIF Account
(Asset/Liability) of the "other" account.

The importer will allow you to map the QIF Categories and QIF Accounts
to GnuCash Accounts.  The names do not need to match, although it's
obviously easier if they do.

> Example: I have a list of bookings somehow like the following:
>
> Date          Amount      Text                           Account from
> Account to
> 11-08-2017     25.70      Birthday gift                  Giro
> Gifts
> 24-08-2017   2000.00      Salary for August              Salary
> Bankaccount
>
> etc. etc.
>
> Of course the accounts "Giro", "Gifts", "Salary" and "Bankaccount"
> should exist in Gnucash already.

The accounts don't actually need to exist; the QIF importer will create
them if they don't.

> So far I always prepare several lists, two for each of the main bank
> accounts, then I import them as CSV and then I have to more or less
> assign the "counter booking" for each single like manually because even
> after a couple of years the automatic assignment does not really do a
> really useful job.
>
> Any idea or proposal?

Use QIF?